"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Brian Hechinger wonko at arkham.ws
Sun Apr 28 10:26:51 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 08:29:50AM -0700, David Passmore wrote:

> > In Dallas, I could get $120K easily, if i wanted to put up with Dallas.
>
> Personally, I don't think anyone in a sysadmin position could command that
> kind of salary today, anywhere unless they were extremely specialized in a
> niche market.

are you kidding?  refusing to go into the city, i can still easily command
$85K-$95K, if i'm willing to commute into philly (not fucking likely) i could
make $120K easily, probably even more.

> At my new job at AOL, I'm still net positive on salary after leaving
> the DC for two years of backbreaking work in California, but not by much.
> Jobs that pay more than that (that I turned down) were all consulting
> gigs... and I'm no consultant.

i'll do consulting if i have to, but i don't really like doing it.  i'd rather
make less and have a "real" job than a contracting gig.

if i were more of a developer there is a consluting place around here that will
pay as much as $300/hr to a good developer.  they work you to death though, and
all their employees eventually quit and go work elsewhere, but end up with a
nice chunk in the bank.

-brian
--
"He's hopped up on caffeine. He has the strength of ten mice."  -PVP