[geeks] keyboard recommendation

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 27 15:12:53 CDT 2002

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> by Model M you are talking about the "Clikey" kayboards yes?  i love those
> things.  i definitely need to pick up a few.

Yes.  THE clicky keyboard.  I need to find one of the ancient ones with a
cast-iron backing.  All mine are the second-run plastic ones.

Nothing like a keyboard that doubles as a deadly weapon. :)

> i don't base my requirements around netspace/mozilla since i use it so
> infrequently that it's not a concern.

Me neither, but the numpad/tilde junk is occasionally annoying.  Then
again, that's not a fault of the keyboard.  It's that Netscape/IRIX/X
trainwreck of keycode-passing.

> i have yet to kill a keyboard, so i probably don't slam it too hard.

I have yet to kill a keyboard that wasn't manufactured to die early.

Here's the article:  http://www.thecraftstudio.com/bcboy/keyboard.html

> i'll definitely get a Model M, since if it's what i think you are talking
> about, i know i love them.  as far as xmodmap, i wasn't talking about that
> as much as i was physical layout.  i hate backspace on the top row, etc...

Then use xmodmap to switch \ and <-.  I -think- they orignally shipped
with extra caps so that you could rearrange things, but I'm no authority.

> > What I'd really like is one of the newer Model M remakes with the built-in
> > trackpoint.  That way, I wouldn't have to remove my hands from the
> > keyboard unless I were doing something vaguely artistic.
>
> especially with follow to focus.  hmm, that would rule.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.  At that point, you're only one step
behind think-clicking.  Problem is that I've not seen one with a
middle-mouse button, and having to paste with the real mouse with
irriitate me.

--Jonathan