"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

Chris Byrne chris at chrisbyrne.com
Sat Apr 27 09:07:44 CDT 2002

Well Im in a similar situation. I just turned 25 today, but I was done with
college at the time when most people were just finished with high school,
and was working profitably in the scomputer business from the age of 14 on.

I'm lucky however in that I look and sound a lot older than I am, and always
have. I've never had a problem commanding an appropriate salary or wage. I
also have two degrees which tends to impress the HR drones. If anyone
questions my age I just pull a doogie houser and play up the boy
genius/whizkid factor, which once again impresses the HR drones. Anyone who
isnt impressed by that sort of thing probably appreciates my experience and
doesnt care how old I am.

The only real problems I've had were when I was managing or training people
much older than I was. Some of them tended to resent the age difference,
especially when I was younger then their kids.

Chris Byrne