"this economy" (was Re: [geeks] Ultra 2)

alex j avriette avriettea at speakeasy.net
Sat Apr 27 08:56:22 CDT 2002

> I have noticed that companies aren't too interested in newbie-weinies
> anymore unless they work dirt cheap. There is talent looking for work
> now,
> so the career path of working up from zero seems to be over.

I'll acknowledge this, for sure. I have seen a lot of this at $job even.
And whats worse is they equate "youth" with "inexperience." Sure, I'm
24, but I graduated high school at 15, and have been working since 16.
I've got a lot of experience -- but because I'm young and don't have a
degree, people arent willing to pay me what somebody who was 40 with the
same experience would be expected to earn.

Alex