[geeks] O2 graphics compared to entry-levelOctanegraphics?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Apr 25 11:31:16 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 05:20:05PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> I guarantee you there would be a VERY large market for it. Home centers,
> school woodshops etc... When I worked for a furniture refinisher and
> restorer this would have been VERY nice since we were working on furniture
> where a single screwed up cut could cost us tens of thousands of dollars.

What piece of wood are you cutting where a screw up costs tens of thousands
of dollars?

> We had to train people on nothing but doors and bookshelves for six months
> before they wrer even let touch anything more complex.

Well, I hadn't thought of simulating routing, but it probably isn't too bad.

> Software like that would definitely help that type of operation, and I'm
> willing to bet you find at least one in every good sized town in America.

Well, when I think about what I want to do in life, I think that targetting
that sort of market (relatively small user base wanting applications to
optimize workflow, allow them to turn out better product, etc).  So, maybe
this idea needs more thought.  For a class I'm signed up for in the fall,
I'll be required to create some sort of software system vaguely along these
lines (well, virtually every one either does games or surgical simulation,
but nobody says other things are options).

I wonder what workflow would be best for such an application.  Perhaps a
StudioTools approach.

> And since you have some fairly limited parameters to work with i.e. known
> characteristics of avaliable materiels and a limited set of textures, plus
> I'd say you only need a limited set of lights as well, you wouldnt have
> nearly the volume of tasks to code for that a full design package would
> have.

Yes, that is appealing.

--
Joshua D. Boyd