[geeks] VoIP Howto?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Wed Apr 24 14:02:50 CDT 2002

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 02:17:34PM -0400, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
> Anybody have any pointers to what hardware/software is required for a
> simple VoIP setup? Ideally, I'd like to dedicate a PC to the task. It
> would connect to both my telephone lines. At my PC, if I dial like
> 9+number, it would automatically select a free phone line and dial
> the number or give an error beep. If I dial another number, it would
> just go out over the internet and connect to the dialed IP address.
> When an incoming call comes in on POTS I'd like the computer to ring.
> And if I'm away, I could tunnel home via something like SSH and make
> phone calls from my house without having to pay expensive long
> distance fees. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Not a howto, but this slashdot story (slashdot really sucks, but I keep going
back when I'm out of other links to look at and too distracted/pissed/
frustrated to work at the moment.

Anyway:
mentions cheap hardware to do the job, and linux/freebsd software to drive
that device, that may or maynot be flexible enough to do what you want without
extensive coding.  Ideally, you will need one device per phone, and each
device is $15, but there appears to be discounts for larger lots available.

--
Joshua D. Boyd