[geeks] VoIP Howto?

Michael Dombrowski legodude at hammycorp.com
Wed Apr 24 13:17:34 CDT 2002

Anybody have any pointers to what hardware/software is required for a
simple VoIP setup? Ideally, I'd like to dedicate a PC to the task. It
would connect to both my telephone lines. At my PC, if I dial like
9+number, it would automatically select a free phone line and dial
the number or give an error beep. If I dial another number, it would
just go out over the internet and connect to the dialed IP address.
When an incoming call comes in on POTS I'd like the computer to ring.
And if I'm away, I could tunnel home via something like SSH and make
phone calls from my house without having to pay expensive long
distance fees. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Mike