[geeks] Inventories and Wish Lists (again)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 22 13:19:20 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 06:58:56PM +0100, Chris Byrne wrote:
> Well since we've all been talking about what kind of hardware (IBM this
> time) we have, and we want I think it's time to update those inventories and
> wish lists again.

I'll cut the list of what I have and go straight to what I want.

3 dual processor G4 macs.  One will be a protools station, one an avid
station, and one for personaly work.  All of them need to be dual head.  Would
consider it acceptable for two of these to be much older than G4 if we are
trying to be realistic.  For instance, the protools and avid could be older.
The personal use one would run Lightwave, Painter, photoshop, illustrator,
native compilers, combustion, etc.

1 Octane2.  V10 or V12 graphics.  Or, even an MXE dual processor octane.
Digital video option, of course.  Of course it has to have the dev kit also.

1 rack of nice Sun boxes.  The idea is to get the maximum amount of CPU power
and RAM in.  Latency between machines is mainly a non issue since this is the
render farm.

1 or 2 cray J90s for physics simulations.  I want that hair and liquid to be
as realistic as possible.  I take after the blue sky method for CG.

These 6-7 computers should all be on a san with close to a terrabyte of
storage.

After that, some miscelanous machine with a lot of PCI slots for driving a
house wide FLAC system.  Thinking some sort of Sun is probably best.  Also,
a nice Sun E series or Power Challenge, or something for database work.

And there should be a number of machines for other projects, etc.  Firewalls,
routing, phone system. etc.

Is this really too much to ask?

--
Joshua D. Boyd