[geeks] Thoughts on bash for root

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sun Apr 21 00:41:51 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 01:19:57AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Solaris, is it safe to change root to use bash?  How would you do it any
> way, since usermod won't work for logged in users.

I spy a religious war coming here...

Should you do this? Probably not.

Will it matter if you do? Almost certainly, no.

We have about 150 servers (plus as many workstations), all of which have
csh as root's shell. Standard, non-static csh.  They have been this way for
about 6+ years, and so far it hasn't caused a single problem on any of them.

That said, if you've got /usr on it's own partition, compiling up a static
bash wouldn't hurt.

(ohh.. and did i mention i hate csh?)

  Scott