[geeks] help, please..

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Thu Apr 18 22:33:06 CDT 2002

On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:36:33PM -0400, Kurt Huhn wrote:
    [snip]
> I've been put in the unfortunate position of having to
> write a DOS batch script to configure and install some
> software for a client. Unfortunately, while I seem to hae

Sucks. You might want to look into the NullSoft install system. It's
ugly as hell to work with but it's free and liberally licensed and once
you get the hang of it builds fully scripted executable installs with
uninstall. All very pretty. http://www.nullsoft.com/free/nsis/

> most of the major stuff covered, I can't seem to find a
> DOS equivilent of 'sed'. Does such a thing exist?

Under Win32, I use these: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
Under DOS? Maybe something compiled with djgpp?

> The goal is to take a text file and insert values at
> placeholders. Anyone know if this is possible with DOS?

Take a look at the stuff that Professor Timo Salmi wrote. Some of the
things he did under DOS (and the gyrations that it required) were
impressive.  ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsbat.zip

- Ross