[geeks] help, please..

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Thu Apr 18 20:11:10 CDT 2002

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> [ On Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 19:36:33 (-0400), Kurt Huhn wrote: ]
> > Subject: [geeks] help, please..
> >
> > I've been put in the unfortunate position of having to write a DOS batch
> > script to configure and install some software for a client.
> > Unfortunately, while I seem to hae most of the major stuff covered, I
> > can't seem to find a DOS equivilent of 'sed'.  Does such a thing exist?
>
> Do you have access to any of those unix-like tool kits for DOS like, the
> MKS one, or the older "Percent" (c-shell), or mark williams c?  (MWC
> came with a DOS version of m4, and their 'ed' was potentially scriptable)

Can't install that on client servers - or ask a client to install it -
never mind a Winders admin...

> > The goal is to take a text file and insert values at placeholders.
> > Anyone know if this is possible with DOS?
>
> It might be easier to write a small C (or whatever) program to do simple
> substitutions.  There used to be dozens of examples of such programs
> available too -- primarily designed for mailing-list merging, but a
> decently well designed one should work just fine for you.....

Perhaps, if we any C programmers, or if I was a C programmer.  However,
IANADevloper, I don't even play one on TV.  My developement skills are
limited to shell scripts, Perl, and a little PHP...

I'm screwed....or rather DOS has screwed me....

--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com