[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Thu Apr 18 12:56:47 CDT 2002

[ On Thursday, April 18, 2002 at 11:23:18 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....
>
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 08:08:38PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > [ On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 at 23:21:35 (+0100), David Cantrell wrote: ]
> > > Subject: Re: [geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....
> > >
> > > OK Mr. Know-it-all, what, in your inestimable opinion, does the good doctor
> > > say about optimisation?
> > [no answer]
>
> I note with interest that you choose not to answer.

How else am I supposed to entice you to read the original words that you
have apparently not yet read instead of giving you my interpretation?  :-)

If you really want to know how I interpret Knuth's mantra of Hoare's
Dictum in the context where this thread has wandered, then please just
ask once more and I shall tell you!

> > > So you're saying NetBSD can magically run binaries which never go anywhere
> > > near any gcc-compiled code?
> > It sure can.  I've run a NetBSD/sun3 kernel on a strictly SunOS-4
> > user-land.
>
> I'm sorry, did you not say that the kernel was always compiled with gcc?

What part of this simple statement, which one should immediately derive
in one's mind after reading the above question and answer, do you not
understand?

	NetBSD can run binaries which were not in any way produced by,
	or even remotely touched by, GCC.

--
								Greg A. Woods