[geeks] Re: Callahans and othr great books

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Tue Apr 16 19:02:44 CDT 2002

david at cantrell.org.uk writes:

>On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 10:18:01PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
>> chris at chrisbyrne.com writes:
>> >From what I've seen, all Russians know Lem. Nice.

>He was Polish, is that what you mean?

Ummm.... I don't know what you mean by that. Lem was Polish,
and is hugely popular with Russians. More so than any sci-fi
(or touching-on-sci-fi, or whatever) writer is in the US.

>Anyway, I've been turned on to Lem
>by a mad Polish professor who works here.  He tells me that the English
>translations are very good indeed.

That's one weird thing that I've heard from many many different people
(including a Polish guy I asked). It's surprising because Lem writes
very poeticly - lots of delicate wording.  But by all acounts, the
existing translations do him justice.

The rumours say Hollywood is gearing up to butcher his masterpiece.

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
-------- "I prefer the ridiculous to the sublime." - James Chance ---------