Real Truckers Was:[geeks] Work getting slow

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Tue Apr 16 18:58:01 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 16:37, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 04:46 PM 4/16/2002 -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
> >Gotcha? Nope. Trucks do not do 10 times the damage. Weather does more damage
> >than trucks. Granted, if everything were equal trucks would be a bit harder
> >on the roads than a car. However, those of us whom own cars do not pay road
>
> Gotcha as in 'yeah, I see your point, I do know that trucks pay much higher
> taxes than autos".
>
> However, I live in Arkansas, where the weather is fairly mild.  The ruts in
> the roads that I drive are not likely caused by weather.  Maybe I'm
> wrong--I don't know much about roads--but my gut feel is that an 80k truck
> has to do a lot (not a bit) more damage to the road than a 3k car.  And
> I'll let it go at that.

I don't know dick about Arkansas, but around here, -none- of the ruts in
the roads are caused by Semis.  They're all caused by people driving
around in the city with studded snow tires on.  There's some damage
caused by trucks in the areas where they frequently brake, (mostly
busses though), but other than that, it's hard to attribute it to large
vehicles.

> If I've crossed a line and really offended anyone here, let me know
> (privately) and I'll unsub.

Heh, I don't run this list, but I'm damn sure this isn't even within the
same ballpark as the line.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.