Real Truckers Was:[geeks] Work getting slow

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Tue Apr 16 18:37:58 CDT 2002

At 04:46 PM 4/16/2002 -0400, Mike Nicewonger wrote:
>I was not planning to engage in a battle but I have donned my armour.

No battle on this end.  If my words appear harsh, I apologize.  I did not
mean to be uncivil.

>Gotcha? Nope. Trucks do not do 10 times the damage. Weather does more damage
>than trucks. Granted, if everything were equal trucks would be a bit harder
>on the roads than a car. However, those of us whom own cars do not pay road

Gotcha as in 'yeah, I see your point, I do know that trucks pay much higher
taxes than autos".

However, I live in Arkansas, where the weather is fairly mild.  The ruts in
the roads that I drive are not likely caused by weather.  Maybe I'm
wrong--I don't know much about roads--but my gut feel is that an 80k truck
has to do a lot (not a bit) more damage to the road than a 3k car.  And
I'll let it go at that.

>OK, fine. How many times do you get this from some jerk in a honda or a
>pick-up? I see this with cars more than trucks.

Too often, of course.  I hold truckers to higher standards _because_
they're professionals (and should know better than to pull the stunts I
see) and they're driving something that can do a lot of damage.

>Y'know Scott, I think you are right. All truckers are out to get you. I
>honestly don't know how to answer that.

I don't think that--I really don't.  But I see annoying and dangerous
behavior from truck drivers on a daily basis.

>And I hate it when people slam some other group generically for the acts of
>a bad apple or two.

If I've crossed a line and really offended anyone here, let me know
(privately) and I'll unsub.

newell