[geeks] Traffic shaping w/Apache?

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Apr 16 15:13:05 CDT 2002

[ On Tuesday, April 16, 2002 at 14:43:22 (-0500), Bill Bradford wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] Traffic shaping w/Apache?
>
> I want to keep "total bandwidth used by apache" below <x>.  I want
> other things unchanged (ssh, ftp, etc)...

If you can inject a BSD-based router in the path you might be able to
get Alt-Q to give you a fixed usage based on TCP port#.  I've not used
it myself but I know people who have and they say it does the trick at
least for what they need.

Otherwise you're probably looking at something much more expensive.

One of my clients is happily using Riverstone's traffic shaping to keep
the KaZa idiots to a reasonable level.  Currently they're able to do the
per-flow implemntation (their router will handle 2 million concurrent
flows, and they have several orders of magnitude fewer broadband
customers  :-).  Those routers will supposedly do aggregate throughput
throttling too, tough that's far less effective.  As I understand things
so far you can't mix flow and aggregate throttling on the same "service".

--
								Greg A. Woods