[geeks] Is this a scam or for real?

Gary Nichols gary at linuxforce.org
Tue Apr 16 11:12:41 CDT 2002

As Will pointed out, this is a bunch of BS.

Here's what IS true.  You can call the credit agencies and ask (demand)
that your personal credit information be marked as 'private' and not
released to any person/company without your written consent.

This will effectly end all those annoying credit card offers and various
other snail mail spam that you receive in your mailbox every day.

I did this 2 years ago and it's been WONDERFUL.

While we are on the topic of credit, I highly recommend that anyone
concerned about their credit (and we all should be) should sign up with a
credit-watch service like equifax.com.  I get emails the second ANYTHING
changes on my credit report.
I have caught several errors this way -
including one agency trying to get my address-of-record changed to an
address I didn't even recognize!  YIKES!

YMMV

Gary