[geeks] Work getting slow

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Tue Apr 16 00:42:09 CDT 2002

> > Nothing against you personally, but do we *want* people with only two weeks
> > experience driving big rigs cross-country?  Maybe I'm talking out my ass
> > here; my parents team-drove semis when I was a baby, but of course I dont
> > have many memories of that...
> >

> I can't speak from a newbies POV here, as I've had a Class-A endorsement
> on my license (since expired).  But if you already know how to handle a
> trailer, have driven large vehicles, and understand vehicle dynamics, a
> tractor trailer is fairly easy to learn.  It's big, yes.  But it's not
> all that complicated.  Again, that's the voice of experience, so perhaps
> I'm not a good litmus test...

The hardest part, in my experience, of driving those things is backing
them up.   Once you realize that "Hey, I'm 53 feet long" and "God and Mr.
Newton say I can't stop on a dime", you've got most of the basics covered
up.

Of course, I've never driven actual semis...I've just driven 20K-65K pound
fire trucks and non-articulated water tankers.