[geeks] e.e. smith "lensman" series

Michael A. Turner mturner at whro.org
Mon Apr 15 15:20:36 CDT 2002

	As an action movie I thought it was ok. As a small time military
buff and an arm chair strategist it ran me up the wall. Apparently in the
23rd century(or when this happened) WWI military doctrine has been
determined to be the best. Massed waves of foot troops with rifles charging
the enemy. No support weapons (mortars, heavy machine guns), no tanks, no
APCs, No artillery, Planes are used only as a bombing mission on emptied
territory, no helicopters, ETC. That was not an army, that was a mob lead by
no one.
	I figured this was probably because they did not have these items in
the book. The reason they were not in the book has each suit was all of
these by itself. Someone should have pointed out that if they changed to no
suits , they needed to change tactics also. Then again, it's hard to show
individual heroism for the camera if everyone is doing their job....

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org