[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Apr 15 14:38:21 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, April 15, 2002 at 14:02:08 (+0200), Jochen Kunz wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....
>
> Hmmm. autoconf is a big fscking POS. I can't remember how often
> I had to apply the sledge hammer to ./configure to convince it
> of the existence of libfoo and libbla... That is truely no 64
> bit issue.

I think you started at the wrong end.  The generated ./configure script
is not supposed to be editable -- think of it as object code.  What can
you expect when you get over 200% expansion in lines from processing
what would at first glance usually appear to be a quite

Without digging deeper I can't be sure of the problem, but at a guess
I'd think a first attempt to upgrade to a newer version of autoconf
itself might have been all that was needed (though incompatibilities
with poorly written configure.in files can sometimes appear to cause
more problems than are being solved -- getting the help of someone
familiar with upgrading autoconf is definitely a good idea).

It is unfortunate that GCC is the prevalent compiler today.  However
when one is porting software often it's better to first port the
compiler the software was written and most widely tested with!  ;-)

>From what I've heard GCC is no super-compiler for the Alpha, but if it
allows you to at least get an application up and running then it helps
break the problems down into more managable subsets.

--
								Greg A. Woods