Things to see in Scotland Was: [geeks] The word BRITISH and FOOD Do not belong in the same sentence.

Steven Hill sjh at matrix.net
Mon Apr 15 13:33:43 CDT 2002

> If you or anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

See Edinburgh / Stirling / Glasgow.

Edinburgh has a castl;e with military museums aplenty, Stirling has
more rooms done in the time period. Glasgow is just Glasgow, with the
Burrell Collection, and various other galleries. Well worth a look.

> We'll probably trade our timeshare for one in Scotland, so hotel isn't my
> first concern.

Staying where?

> Transportation: what's the easiest/cheapest way to get around?

If you are in any of the above places, you can get by with public
transport. Anywhere else, rent a car.

> We're looking to see old Scotland, countrysides, history, basically
> anything that might be featured on the history channel.  LOL
> We like to take pictures and learn new things.

Things to do:

Edinburgh:

	University, interesting old buildings. Founded in the 16th
	Century? (I can't remember, I wasn't alive then / at that
	lecture...)

	Castle - nuff said

	Scott Monument & Princes St. (Shopping, and picturesque stuff)

	Old town & New town
	Architecture is really interesting...

	Various museums on the Royal Mile.

	Chambers Street Museum - cool stuff with buttons that make
	exhibits work. (Definitely worth a visit)

	Holyrood Palace
	The palace down the hill from the castle. Never been in, but
	it looks nice from outside.

	Holyrood Park & Arthur's Seat
	Spectacular view across Edinburgh, and the Firth of Forth, and
	over to Fife.

Stirling:

	Castle - interesting how things used to be rooms.

	Bannockburn - monument to Bob the Bruce.

	Wallace Monument - Bill Wallace. Need I say more?
	William Wallace's sword is there. It is large.

	Spectacular views across the carse, up to the Trossachs.

Glasgow:

	Kelvin Grove & Gallery
	Go see, gardens, arbor, and glass houses
	Art in the gallery, funnily enough

	Burrell collection
	Much coolness in the shape of art from the empire.

	University is dotted around, interesting old buildings.

Trossachs:

	Hire a car for this.

	Go see Loch Lomond, take a trip on the paddle boat on Loch
	Katrine, and look at high hills. There are tours, if you can
	get on one, saves watching winding roads...

	Stop at Callander for a Fish Supper by the river Teith.

> Would a stint to Ireland be a good idea as well?

Yeah.

How long are you going to have off?

Been to Belfast, interesting city, been to Co Donegal. Lovely
countryside.

--
Steven Hill
Systems Administrator