[geeks] e.e. smith "lensman" series

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Apr 15 13:13:21 CDT 2002

> > 	On the subject of Heinlein, if you have not had the chance go pick
> > up the "New" Version of stranger in a strange land do so
> > immediately.
>
> Actually I liked them both, but I always favor reading the authors intended
> work. Aparently Most of Heinlens stuff was very heavily edited, and from
> what I've read this is a good thing because he had some issues with style
> and coherency. As an author (none of my fiction has been published but I've
> got two text books co-authored and I wrote for some magazines for a few
> years) I know how helpful a good editor can be.

You are correct.  I've read everything Heinlein wrote that was published
(AFAIK), and, IIRC, _Stranger in a Strange Land_, _The Puppet Masters_,
and _Red Planet_ have been released as Heinlein intended.  _Red Planet_
was the least affected.

> Unfortunately I know how horrible a bad editor can be. With just a few words
> removed or changed the whole meaning of the entire book or article can be
> changed, even reveresed.
>
> If you want to see the best example of this by  Heinlein read the original
> edition of The Puppet masters, and the restored edition. Two COMPLETELY
> different books.

Another good example is the "editting" done by Verhoven with his "Starship
Troopers" movie.  The concept of a citizen state was changed from one of
people taking personal and civil responsibility to one of fascism.

> > of the beast". My personal favorite, since we are sharing, is "J.O.B. a
> > comedy of justice".
>
> I Like J.O.B (anyone see the paperback version with the guy in a leather
> jacket, presumably Alex, holding his hands out with that "Oh god, why me...
> oh well " expression on his face? Just Perfect.
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0345316509/reader
> /1/103-7612671-5350215#reader-link)

That's the copy if have, but isn't it JOB, not J.O.B.?

> For me though it's a tossup between Moon is a harsh mistress, which is also
> the first Heinlein I ever read (gotta love the TANSTAAFL principle), and the
> sixth column which just resonates with me.

_The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ is my favorite.

> Oh and for those of you who followed the recent political threads with
> interest please read "Take Back Your Government" if you can ever find a
> copy.

Look on the Gnutella network.  I have printed copies of everything
I know of that Heinlein wrote, but I downloaded electronic copies
using LimeWire so I could have easy access to them.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net