[geeks] The word BRITISH and FOOD Do not belong in the same sentence.

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon Apr 15 05:05:51 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 11:16:14PM -0400, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I kind of like British food... pub food ...

Some pubs sell exceptional food.  Many, however, use pre-prepared food
which they just heat up before serving.  Given yer average pub, I wouldn't
expect the food to be anything better than mediocre.

The trouble with native British foods is that most of it requires a great
deal of preparation and patience, and when either of those is skimped on,
the results are unappetising.  Compare and contrast with (eg) Italian
food which, whilst improved by care and attention to detail, is still
jolly good if you just throw a few ingredients together.

>                                             and also the wonderful
> wonderful junk food they sell in the stores...

such as?

> You can also get reasonably good Indian food in London.

I heartily recommend Quilan's on Buckingham Gate.  The best Indian
food I've ever tasted^Wpaid for, in tasteful surroundings and with
attentive, knowledgeable staff.  For good native British food, you're
better off going to Scotland or Wales, where there are less immigrants
and so the easier-to-prepare foreign dishes haven't taken over to the
same extent.  There are a few gems in England though.  Try St. John,
http://www.stjohnrestaurant.co.uk/.  Or go to any seaside town in the
southwest, where they'll make eating fish so pleasurable that it's
probably illegal.

--
Lord Protector David Cantrell     |     http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david

   I hear you asking yourselves "why?".  Hurd will be out in a
   year ...
        -- Linus Torvalds, in <1991Oct5.054106.4647 at klaava.Helsinki.FI>