[geeks] e.e. smith "lensman" series

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 15 03:08:22 CDT 2002

From: "Bill Bradford" <mrbill at mrbill.net>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 08:26:51AM +0100, Will Mc Donald wrote:
> > I've read some of them. The characters crop up in some Heinlein books too,
the
> > Lazarus Long stories.
>
> I *loved* the Lazarus Long stories.  first Heinlein I ever read.  I went on
> to read most of the rest.  I even managed to do a research paper in my
college
> English class.  We had to do a report about a subject of a book from a
famous
> author.

I've read a fair bit of Heinlein, can't say how much of his total output but
it's probably a sizeable proportion. Must remember to see how much stuff he
actually wrote.

> I picked "Friday" by Heinlein.  Did the report on genetic engineering.

Good book. As is Number of the Beast. But then you probably already know this.
:)

> My lesbian man-hater professor said that Heinlein wasnt a famous author!
> She went to two other professors, who just laughed at her.  I got a B+ on
> the paper (it was an A+ paper, but she had a grudge because I managed to
> get it in under her guidelines).

I can see why Heinlein would incense her, there a strangely misogynistic
streak in his writing. Or at least what could be construed as such by people
with narrow outlooks. He created some amazingly strong, independant female
characters but in the end they all just wanted to have babies and be Good
Little Wives [tm].

Will.