[geeks] e.e. smith "lensman" series

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 15 03:00:22 CDT 2002

From: "Sven-Olof Johansson" <so at mkv.mh.se>
> On Monday, April 15, 2002, at 06:41 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > Anybody read these?  I never have, and am trying to find a cheap place
> > get them other than $12/each from Amazon.
>

> I read them about a month ago. The story is a little bit too much "Good
> guys wear white (gray), never hesitates about anything except when they
> fall in love, and always finds a way to pull a rabbit out of a hat.
> Bad
> guys are ugly, cunning, kicks small kittens just for the fun of it, and
> wants to take over the universe(s)."

This is fairly typical for sci-fi of that era. A clear cut good guys/bad guys
thing. Good guys being all clean shaven and unflappable. A lot of it's as much
Space Opera as Science Fiction. Not that this is a bad thing.

It seems to be something that L Ron Hubbard latched on to with his
interminable epic style.

Will.