[geeks] I HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 15 00:45:03 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 01:18:28AM -0400, Big Endian wrote:
> >> card,
> >> A non POS machine?
> >
> >Its only the "new release of Windows and 2x faster hardware every six
> >months"
> >industry that thinks 733Mhz is a POS.  its far from it.
>
> If it were a properly constructed and designed system for the task,
> yes.  But the Xbox *IS* a POS.  Its castrated PC hardware stuck in a
> box with inadequate ventilation, it *CRASHES* just because (I've had
> console systems freeze on me, but that was *ALWAYS* do to bad
> media/hardware) they fucked it up.  I just sucks ass.

I fail to see how PC hardware can be any more castrated than it already is.
Further, ignoring the doubtfull wisdom of a HD in the unit, the design
of the system seems to be somewhat more intelligent than most PCs.  My
understanding is that is mainly to be credited to Nvidea.  If nvidea better
supported Opensource, I think I wouldn't be critical of them.  Outside of
SGI and 3DLabs, they appear to be one of the best implementors of 3D
acceleration available today.  But then, I'm not to familiar with E&S
equipment.  I wish there were at least one decent 3D accelerator implementer
who would publicly provide full documentation for their card (and not make
a buggy card requireing driver workarounds).  If someone would do that, even
if it only offered G200 performance, I'd buy at least 1 card, probably more.

--
Joshua D. Boyd