[geeks] I HAVE BEEN CORRUPTED

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Mon Apr 15 00:18:28 CDT 2002

>On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:56:48PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>  > who said anything about games? a 733mhz p3 with an nvidia graphics card,
>>  > hard disk, and dvd-rom. that actually costs ms money. what more could
>>  > you ask for?
>>  A non POS machine?
>
>Its only the "new release of Windows and 2x faster hardware every six months"
>industry that thinks 733Mhz is a POS.  its far from it.

If it were a properly constructed and designed system for the task,
yes.  But the Xbox *IS* a POS.  Its castrated PC hardware stuck in a
box with inadequate ventilation, it *CRASHES* just because (I've had
console systems freeze on me, but that was *ALWAYS* do to bad
media/hardware) they fucked it up.  I just sucks ass.

>Heck, the sun-managers mailing list runs on a SS10 with a single 40Mhz
>CPU...

But that SS10 is rock solid, not flakey like an Xbox.

>Two years ago, I was running Linux on a P120 as my desktop machine at a
>sysamdin job.  It did the job.  Not fast, but adequate.

My databases @ work run oracle/intel/linux and its slow... but it
works.  However its also a POS because it has "fits" when it just
keeps crashing for a week or more.

>People forget the difference between "adequate" and "piece of shit".

I think POS != slow, POS == less than functional.

daniel