[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Sat Apr 13 16:32:57 CDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-04-13 at 11:17, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > So galeon apparently starts out at less than half the size of knonqueror....
>
> Which is probably due to all the dynamic binding that's incurred due to
> compilation in C++.  You've got your binary-level link tables, then your
> inheritance-based virtual function link tables, and there's so much crap
> involved in just calling a member function that it's not even funny.
>
> But, I hadn't realized the difference was that large.  Does Galeon load
> another instance of itself for each window?

I didn't think so, but I just went and asked yaneti (one of those galeon
developer people), and he said "it certainly does not".

> > Though probably all the KDE code is better bundled than that needed for
> > galeon,
>
> Which means a lot to me.  Being able to download 8 or 9 tarballs, all of
> which are available at one FTP server is a hell of a lot more convenient
> than my last GNOME-building experience (which, admittedly, was a while
> ago).

Hmm, we've got loads and loads of stuff on ftp.gnome.org, I think all of
the worthwhile gnome apps are on our server at this point, out of
sourceforget.  GNOME is a lot more tarballs, but I'd much rather compile
it than KDE.  KDE takes absolutely forever to compile (g++ sucks).  At
this point, there are plenty of "build scripts" for it that will
download and compile everything for you.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.