[geeks] just for you guys....

Amy scoobydoo at ohno.mrbill.net
Sat Apr 13 15:56:15 CDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, alex j avriette wrote:

> as have we all. thats the point. we've all run across somebody who has
> taunted or made fun of us (in fact i think that is part of the
> maturation process of a geek). im just totally past it. call it
> narcissism if you like. it just doesnt bother me anymore.

i'd say most of us were taunted in one way or another. the problem is that
when you get a few hundred thousand of them together at the same time, a
hierarchy starts appearing. those that were tormented the most generally
turn around and start tormenting others who have chosen to just "put up
with" the abuse. there are two ways to deal with this:

1. turn a blind eye and be a coward
2. simply not put up with this sorta bullshit.

care to guess which category i fall into?

> i never said anything remotely like you should watch what you say. that
> was _you_, dear.

you inferred it, that's enough for me.

> i think taking bill to task like that publicly was kind of unfair to
> him. i'd be pretty pissed off if my girlfriend did that to me.

as if taking him "to task" privately would serve any other purpose? as far
as i see it, he was reminded of his own medicine and he didn't like it (as
he shouldn't). while yes, i'm sure most husbands/boyfriends dont like being
rode the hard way in public, that's how he happens to learn best and
quickest. 5 years with the man has taught me this. i'm harder on him than i
am on anyone except myself. you see, i know he's a good person and what he
did was beneath him, period, and he knows it too when he's not acting like
he was raised in a barn.

now, bill's perfectly welcome to be pissed off at me (he's not, but god
forbid a man not be pissed off when the little woman happens to be right.
oh no, that must mean he's whipped, right?) but it won't do a damn bit of
good. you see, he knows i was pissed off cause i *said* i was pissed off.
then we move on, laugh a little at how long it take me to find my bra in the
morning and go hunt down the wild, elusive gyro for lunch.

--a