[geeks] Web Browsers that Don't Suck

Sridhar the POWERful vance at ikickass.org
Sat Apr 13 15:10:49 CDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > Many things suck more than Motif.  Motif is pretty.  I would do it in
> > Swing with Java.
>
> Runtime performance is a consideration from my point-of-view.  AWT is
> fairly responsive, if ugly.  Swing is pretty (and has a nice API,
> too), but suffers by blissfully ignoring any acceleration that the
> underlying windowing system might be trying to offer.

Swing is definitely not the fastest thing in the world.  But it would be
much easier to implement in Swing than in AWT.  In AWT, you'd be
duplicating a lot of the effort that already went into Swing.

> GTK+ seems like a nice balance.  I'm going to play with it for a while
> and see how things turn out.  It's matured a lot since I last played
> with it.

I wonder if Digitalk PARTS is still available.  Would be easy and fast to
write a webbrowser in that.

Peace...  Sridhar