[geeks] Web Browsers that Don't Suck

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 13 14:42:18 CDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Sridhar the POWERful wrote:

> Many things suck more than Motif.  Motif is pretty.  I would do it in
> Swing with Java.

Runtime performance is a consideration from my point-of-view.  AWT is
fairly responsive, if ugly.  Swing is pretty (and has a nice API, too),
but suffers by blissfully ignoring any acceleration that the underlying
windowing system might be trying to offer.

GTK+ seems like a nice balance.  I'm going to play with it for a while and
see how things turn out.  It's matured a lot since I last played with it.

Egad.  I was in -high school- then.

--Jonathan