[geeks] argh Solaris

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 13 14:19:03 CDT 2002

> everyone complains and bitches about solaris all the time (i don't konw why,
> it's really not that bad) but once you learn its quirks (ALL OSES HAVE QUIRKS
> THAT YOU NEED TO LEARN) it's a breeze to setup.

For values of Solaris >= 2.0.  I can't count the number of times that I
forgot how to add and ended up with single-cylinder overlaps in SunOS
4.x/Solaris 1.x.

But, yeah, suninstall is great fun compared to inst.  Neither knows how to
deal with an unlabeled disk, though.

> IRIX is a GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS TO INSTALL COMPARED TO SOLARIS!!!  i've got
> a dozen fucking cdroms scattered around here as i do an IRIX install.  it's
> NUTS.  even after i learn all it's quirks?  solaris will still be easier to
> install.

Definitely.  But at least 6.5 lets you install from all the CDs at once,
instead of one-by-one, like 6.2 and earlier forced you to.  Granted, we
had fewer CDs, but still, 2 OS CDs, NFS, MIPSpro, Apps, Overlays.

Really, it's not all that bad.  If nothing else, swmgr makes up for it.
Compare -that- to admintool's software manager.

Just write the whole distribution to 4mm DAT and forego all that swapping.
I think that's still (somewhat) supported. :)

--Jonathan