[geeks] Web Browsers that Don't Suck

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 13 13:26:38 CDT 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> > So, my -best- results would come from writing my own, probably against
> > Motif or GTK (assuing I find the secret to making GTK apps that don't
> > crawl).  It just wouldn't be the path of least resistance.
>
> GTK, please, if you really must.  Nothing sucks more than Motif.  :-)

I'm learning GTK right now.  Motif is more like the Windows code I used to
do, but GTK seems pretty easy to learn.  It's more like AWT or Swing than
anything else.

> Note though that even if you borrow an HTML engine from somewhere you're
> still looking at writing probably nearly 50K-100K lines of code.  That's
> no small project for any one person no matter who you are!  ;-)

I realize that.  I'm -really- pissed off about the lack of a decent
cross-platform browser[1], though.  In all actuality, it'll probably sit
in the back of my head until I forget about it, but if Dillo doesn't turn
out to be as nice as it looks like it's going to be (grr... how the hell
does one select text?), I just might do it, if I honestly think I can
dedicate the time to it.

--Jonathan
[1] And newsreader, and MUA, but I -don't- think they should all be the
    same monster program (a la Netscape Communicator)