[geeks] galeon Doesn't Suck that much....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Apr 13 13:09:23 CDT 2002

On April 13, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > That requires GNOME, which requires approximately half of the source code
> > available on the world-wide-web.  Galleon is nice, but GNOME is quite
> > evil.
>
> I honestly don't know how much effort it would be to gather up all the
> required parts and build them (I've only build galeon with NetBSD
> pkgsrc, where everything "just works" :-), but I do think you're
> exaggerating far beyond all reason.
>
> For one, GNOME is far from evil -- it's much better written than
> anything in KDE, and much smaller too.  Casual observation suggests
> GNOME+GTK is one of the best free GUI application development
> environments around on any system these days.

  Yeah, GNOME is wonderful if you're running Linux (or maybe BSD) on a
PeeCee.  Otherwise, just TRY to get it built.  I dare you.  To be any
less portable it'd have to be written in C++!

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Hush and eat your vegetables, young lady!"
St. Petersburg, FL                          - Mr. Bill