[geeks] Web Browsers that Don't Suck

jodys at helluin.org jodys at helluin.org
Fri Apr 12 16:47:54 CDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 05:34:01PM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 03:21:26PM -0600, jodys at helluin.org wrote:
>
> I think that gui make it easier to do somethings well.  For instance, laying
> out database forms is easier on a GUI.  Also, GUIs are great for 3D.  I don't
> really want to go back to the dumb terminal way of doing 3d.

Oh I agree, this was just a rant. I just was contrasting that the complexity
of the interface should increase linearly with the complexity of the task
at hand (and even then there are a lot of ways to decrease the complexity
of the interface, while also making a hard task simpler). I mean for all
the complexity of say, word 2000, the complexity of writing a memo has
not increased.

> > And don't get me started about window managers, some people should just
> > be shot. And email clients, how hard is it really? Or web browsers, I mean
> > *come on* does a web browser really need to eat up 40M of core? And for
> > what to display some shitty web site designed by a monkey hyped up on
> > speed? Is this all really necessary? When will it stop?
>
> I don't know what the reasonable amount of core is for a web browser, but
> it does need to be a health amount since the web browser should keep a back
> buffer of the display area, and possibly it just renders the page once, and
> then does a vertical pan on the large image.
>
> Or, maybe that isn't how it works.

I think that is the way it works, but it seems that if web pages weren't
so horribly complicated and hairy that the size would go down quite a bit.

> > Maybe I'm a curmudgeon (a hypocritical one at that (typing this from X)),
> > but *JESUS* modern software sucks! Why oh why are we saddled with this
> > shit, it's horrible, it's a travesty. So much computing power going
> > to waste, and for what, I ask? To help the user? To make the world a
> > better place? Ah... I know... to make money. I'm depressed.
>
> What can I say.  I like my tools at home for the most part.  But then, none
> of my software would really be called trendy, except for maybe Blender.

Nothing to say, I'm just venting, thanks for listening.