[geeks] Web Browsers that Don't Suck

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Apr 12 16:34:01 CDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 03:21:26PM -0600, jodys at helluin.org wrote:

> So why the hell can't all the millions of programmers out there reproduce
> the simplicity of a frikking terminal. Do apps *really* need all that.
> Do you really need <blink>, do you even really need color? NO. Apps should
> help you, the computer should help you, is this not the revolution of PC's,
> to have a helpful computer around. Help you solve problems, look at
> things a different way. And yet all of this modern software doesn't really
> help you more that a 386 with DOS and wordstar and a spreadsheet. And
> those were easier to learn.

I think that gui make it easier to do somethings well.  For instance, laying
out database forms is easier on a GUI.  Also, GUIs are great for 3D.  I don't
really want to go back to the dumb terminal way of doing 3d.

> And don't get me started about window managers, some people should just
> be shot. And email clients, how hard is it really? Or web browsers, I mean
> *come on* does a web browser really need to eat up 40M of core? And for
> what to display some shitty web site designed by a monkey hyped up on
> speed? Is this all really necessary? When will it stop?

I don't know what the reasonable amount of core is for a web browser, but
it does need to be a health amount since the web browser should keep a back
buffer of the display area, and possibly it just renders the page once, and
then does a vertical pan on the large image.

Or, maybe that isn't how it works.

> Maybe I'm a curmudgeon (a hypocritical one at that (typing this from X)),
> but *JESUS* modern software sucks! Why oh why are we saddled with this
> shit, it's horrible, it's a travesty. So much computing power going
> to waste, and for what, I ask? To help the user? To make the world a
> better place? Ah... I know... to make money. I'm depressed.

What can I say.  I like my tools at home for the most part.  But then, none
of my software would really be called trendy, except for maybe Blender.

--
Joshua D. Boyd