[geeks] I haven't gotten into this yet but I need some advice

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Apr 12 12:10:44 CDT 2002

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:59:59PM -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> > She was looking at the CD Video Recorder on www.terapintech.com, but I
> > was wondering what disadvantages or advantages this held since I am not
> > a video person.
>
> The CD Video recorder mentioned makes MPEG-1 based Video CDs.  VCDs have
> about the video quality of a VHS tape...plus not everything can play VCDs.
> I've seen about a 75%yes/25%no mix of home DVD players that can grok VCDs.

People who say that VCDs have the quality of VHS are blind, or ignorantly
quoting someone else.  VCDs are far worse than VHS.  I dare you to purchase
a copy of a movie on VCD from ebay, then go buy an unviewed copy of the same
movie on VHS and compare them.  Every VCD I have ever seen has been far worse.

SVCD might begin to be called VHS quality.  But, SVCDs only store 45mins per
CD.  They use a slightly higher data rate, and they switched to MPEG-2.  I
still prefer VHS tape to SVCDs.

--
Joshua D. Boyd