[geeks] sun.com

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 11 23:27:16 CDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Andrew Weiss wrote:

> I'm kind of partial to Apple's website design and have been for a long
> time...

Apple's is fine until you try to look up anything developer related.
Then it's hundreds of cross-references, with an answer at the end--maybe.
Never mind that that the answer is buried in page 857 of a PDF file,
rather than on a web page, like having a website might insinuate.

> Cisco is also reasonably good.

Reasonably, yes.  But, they have odd ways of categorizing information.
There's WARP, and then there's the catalog, and then there's everything
else, and I usually end up checking all three spots before finding
whatever it was I needed to know.

Sun's design basically led to a use-pattern of:
  1) Is my question presales-technical, or postsales-technical?
  2) Is my question about hardware or software?
  3) Is my question a developer's question, or an admin's question?
  4) What is my question?

And, generally, the answer was within three clicks of resolving #4.  It
-worked-.  And now there are those -ugly- pages of links strewns
everywhere, as opposed to the long drill-downs that worked oh-so-well.

--Jonathan