[geeks] Eeeek

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Thu Apr 11 13:00:10 CDT 2002

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> LFS, the Log Structured File System. I read a paper about it
> some time ago and it sounds interresting. It is not ready for
> the Big Show, so don't trust on it.
> The other way is the good old FFS with softupdates. More secure
> and faster, but needs more RAM. This can be a problem on machines
> like the VAX, where some buffers / memory pools have a fixed, small
> size... I got lots of crashes wirh softdeps on my VAX. Fortunately
> this seams to be gone with the recent ELF snapshot.

Ahhhh... I was wondering about this.  OpenBSD has softupdates as of
2.9, but mentions that one shouldn't use it on sun4c because of
limits to the size of kernel memory or something.  I was recently
looking at NetBSD to try and find a similar warning and didn't see
it, so was rather curious as to why one would have that limit and
not the other...

--Kurt