[geeks] NetBSD Netboot install

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Wed Apr 10 00:56:37 CDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 14:50, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2002.04.09 03:19 Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > Ah, right, that all worked, eventually (after beating the tar out of
> > disklabel for a couple of hours)
> He. Yes. Disklabel can look like black magic... Made this experience
> some years ago... ;-)

Woo, it's not just me!  I asked the guys on #netbsd if they could make
it a little bit more obscure, perhaps by forcing you to input all text
in EBDIC binary sequences.  :-)

> > If I leave rc_configured=NO in rc.conf on the netboot filesystem, it
> > boots up in to what I presume to be single user mode.
> Yes. Or boot with "netbsd -s"

Ah, cool, I got something right!

> > However, I can't make installboot work there.  If I change
> > rc_configured=YES, then I can't log in at the console.
> ??? At the normal text-/rasterconsole? Obscure. The root passwd should
> be empty at install time.

Yep, it won't let me do a darn thing.  In /etc/passwd in my NFS root
filesystem, the second field is set to *.  I've tried setting to to a
DES encrypted password, an MD5 password, and blank, but nothing has
worked.

> > Here's some spewage from installboot
> > # ./installboot boot /dev/rsd0a
> > Segmentation fault - core dumped
> This should not happen.

Hehe, I know that.

> > There are a bunch of scsi messages printed, but they get printed
> > whenever I touch anything on the disk, so I don't think that's the
> > problem.
> Uhhhh! "scsi messages"? Every time. Not good. Please post this masages.

Well, shit, I'll have to set things up again, blew them away because I
thought I'd done something wrong.  More as soon as I finish setting
things back up (should only take an hour or so tomorrow).

> Hmm. Or was /usr/mdec/binstall the shell script to install the
> bootblocks? I can't remember and I have SunOS/Solarisifyed all my
> SPARCs....

Well, there's nothing by that name on my NetBSD filesystems, and the web
pages all list installboot.  Maybe I should poke Dave, he's a NetBSD
Zealot, isn't he?  :-)
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.