[geeks] NetBSD Netboot install

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Apr 9 16:50:28 CDT 2002

On 2002.04.09 03:19 Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Ah, right, that all worked, eventually (after beating the tar out of
> disklabel for a couple of hours)
He. Yes. Disklabel can look like black magic... Made this experience
some years ago... ;-)

> If I leave rc_configured=NO in rc.conf on the netboot filesystem, it
> boots up in to what I presume to be single user mode.
Yes. Or boot with "netbsd -s"

> However, I can't make installboot work there.  If I change
> rc_configured=YES, then I can't log in at the console.
??? At the normal text-/rasterconsole? Obscure. The root passwd should
be empty at install time.

> Here's some spewage from installboot
> # ./installboot boot /dev/rsd0a
> Segmentation fault - core dumped
This should not happen.

> There are a bunch of scsi messages printed, but they get printed
> whenever I touch anything on the disk, so I don't think that's the
> problem.
Uhhhh! "scsi messages"? Every time. Not good. Please post this masages.

Hmm. Or was /usr/mdec/binstall the shell script to install the
bootblocks? I can't remember and I have SunOS/Solarisifyed all my
SPARCs....
--

tsch|_,
         Jochen