[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Peter L. Wargo pwargo at basenji.com
Wed Apr 10 00:49:53 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, April 9, 2002, at 10:24 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Take the University of Maryland at College Park for example.  The last
> stats I saw stated that was a 30,000 student campus (that was years
> ago, dunno if it's still accurate, but just as an example).  Even
> 20MB/student is only 600GB of disk (unmirrored).
>
>   I think the bastards are just being cheap.

Let's see, list on 655G of T3 storage is $85K or so.  Say they get a
good university discount, already have a rack available (or a tabletop),
and just need to cable it up and add a GBIC to an existing server fot
the fiber connection.  Maybe $50K in costs, including the labor costs.

Hell, I work for a $BIG_COMPANY, and I can't get $50K right now in extra
funds.

-Pete