[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 10 00:24:32 CDT 2002

On April 9, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> > I don't know how they can be so stingy with disk space.
>
> Shared disk space is expen$ive.  Not like going down to Fry's and buying
> an IDE disk.  Gotta have support for it, backups, RAID/mirroring, etc.
> We have this argument at work.

  Yes but we're not talking about terabytes here.  It's just not THAT
expensive or difficult to do.  And yes, I've done it, and I do know
what's involved.

  Take the University of Maryland at College Park for example.  The last
stats I saw stated that was a 30,000 student campus (that was years
ago, dunno if it's still accurate, but just as an example).  Even
20MB/student is only 600GB of disk (unmirrored).

  I think the bastards are just being cheap.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Anybody who is willing to EAT YOU probably isn't
St. Petersburg, FL         such a good person to be hanging out with." -Sridhar