[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 10 00:19:33 CDT 2002

On April 9, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
>  You know better than the CHP, huh?  Amazing.

  Most likely.  I don't think I've ever met more than one cop in my life
who had more than three functioning neurons.

  I'm no motorcycle expert, but I do have a grasp of physics, and I know
"stupid" when I see it.  My labeling the act of flying between rows of
stopped cars on a motorcycle as "stupid" has been confirmed three
times, as I watched the twitching bloody pulps of those riders loaded
into ambulances while being interviewed by the cop.

> Look, nobody asked you, and I don't > WANT you protecting me.

  ...then the next time you're riding through the gulf coast area of
Florida, and you see a green 1995 Porsche 911, I'd suggest not
splitting lanes. ;)

> Gee thanks.  However, I've already done my bit for the accident
> statistics and have retired.  I survived 70MPH pavement surfing on I-5,
> and it wasn't low-speed lane splitting (you are supposed to go at a
> walking pace, no more than 5MPH faster than traffic) that did me in, it
> was a rare instance of me missing the presence of a car...

  A-HA!!  *NOW* we get to the heart of the matter.  The three
lane-splitters that I'm talking about went through stopped traffic at
a solid 40MPH.  THAT is what's stupid.  If you really do split lanes
at a walking pace, then I have no problem with your lane-splitting.

  I feel better now.  I had a very hard time thinking of one of the
smarter people I've exchanged email with doing something that stupid.
I guess I just assumed you were talking about doing it at high speeds,
which is the only way I've seen it done.  I apologize for my erroneous
assumption, the attitude that resulted from it, and any stomach acid
it may have caused.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Anybody who is willing to EAT YOU probably isn't
St. Petersburg, FL         such a good person to be hanging out with." -Sridhar