[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Apr 9 23:47:33 CDT 2002

On April 9, Peter L. Wargo wrote:
> >   If I see *you* do this, you won't get any further than my car.
> > Nothing personal...
>
> Dude:
>
> #1) It's legal (well, the lane-splitting), as well as encouraged to
> reduce congestion.
>
> #2) Many cops in CA ride or have friends that do. (Lemmie tell ya, I got
> GOOD care at my accident scene.)
>
> #3) I have had people block may path *on purpose*, even though I am
> obeying every law, causing me personal danger.  Especially since they
> are in a big metal box, and I am not.
>
> #4) If you knowingly put someone at risk that way, you deserve to lose
> you license, not just your mirror.  To me, it's attempted homicide, and
> not a joke.

  Legal != smart!  I don't give a shit if it's legal...it's *dangerous*!
I've sat in my car and watched THREE motorcyclists cream themselves
that way.  (though I suppose it's a Darwin issue..)  Attempted
homicide on my part?  No...it's attempted suicide on the
motorcyclist's part.

  Again, it's nothing personal.  It's just plain dangerous, and when I
see someone doing it, I stop them FOR THEIR OWN SAFETY...since they're
obviously not thinking too much about it themselves.  Wrapping it in
the guise of "reducing congestion" doesn't make it any safer or less
stupid.

  I realize nothing that I say will stop you guys from doing it, so I'll
just easy my own conscience by asking you to PLEASE avoid doing this.
I've seen death notices on other mailing lists...I don't want to see
any of them on this one.  You guys are about the only friends I've
got, and I don't want to lose any of you.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "Anybody who is willing to EAT YOU probably isn't
St. Petersburg, FL         such a good person to be hanging out with." -Sridhar