[geeks] what is the world coming to...

Gregory Leblanc gleblanc at linuxweasel.com
Mon Apr 8 12:54:53 CDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 10:31, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> > and adults stop and point/laugh/nudge-the-guy-next-to-them. I've been in a
> > few screaming matches and wonder if I will knock someones block off someday
> > (I shouldn't carry a gun).
>
> The Golden Rule applies here.  I consider "Do unto other as you would
> have done unto you" the most important rule to live by.  Folks who make
> fun of fat people, would probably take great offense to being called a
> "a weak, little, skinny, wraith".

You're probably right.  On the other hand, I'm now a weak little skinny
wraith, and quite proud of it.

> When I was made fun of in high-school for being overweight, a simple
> demonstration of strength was enough to shut most of 'em up.  Now that
> I'm over 30, I find that simple "I will eat you for lunch" staredown
> works wonders - though to be honest I haven't had to use that since I
> was about 25.  At 5'10" and 215lb with ~15% bodyfat, not many people
> care to confront me - over much of anything...

Heh, when I was in middle school I got the shit beaten out of me.  I'd
have given anything to be overweight, especially where we lived (small
rural community in NE PA).  It took me 2 years of weight lifting an hour
a day, and working out as part of the track/cross country teams to get
my weight up to 140lbs.  I'm still at around 1.5% body fat, which is
torturous if it gets cold.  I know you already do Kurt, but count your
blessings as a "big guy".  Life really isn't any better at the other end
of the spectrum.
	Greg

--
Portland, Oregon, USA.