[geeks] Recommendations?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Apr 8 00:35:56 CDT 2002

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:29:49AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 12:07:46AM -0400, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > Unlike you, I plan to stick to Y/C level work for a good while.  The price
> > points on really good Y/C cameras versus el-cheapo firewire cameras make it
> > look like a good idea.
>
> There's no "sticking" here - I've never done *serious* work until I got
> the Mac and realized how *easy* it was with a *well-designed* system and
> simple software that gets the job done.
>
> I had a capture card on the PC.. it was a total POS.

I had a capture card in my linux machine.  The drivers (not in the kernel)
required that you first compile the kernel with the driver for some other
video card, but along the lines, that other video card got removed, and I
wasn't willing to downgrade the kernel.

But anyway, I take it your first camera was a firewire one?  I don't own
any decent video equipment at the moment, but I'm attempting to put together
a Y/C system since firewire is too expensive.  Initially, I want a unix
workstation to talk to the video equipment, and a camera.  Hopefully shortly
followed by a nice pair of VCRs (Hi8, SVHS), and a nice video monitor (Sony
13" displays seem semi affordable).

I don't really have much money for anything, but I'm feeling more and more
desire for this stuff as I'm nearing the end of school, and I am finally
getting some related programming done, which means there is less chance the
gear would go unused.

I'm currently considering producing stock titling and graphics media for the
excuse of using it to build low level video building blocks.

--
Joshua D. Boyd