[geeks] Recommendations?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Apr 7 23:00:57 CDT 2002

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 02:02:19PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> > I've been known to do it.  It is pretty refreshing, even if it does result
> > in ugly looking programs.
>
>   Yeah, sure, I've done it too, but in 1989 when the only toolkits were
> Xt and Motif, and Motif was expensive and inaccessible.
>
>   Xlib is fast and efficient (compared to most toolkits), but it's
> largely considered to be the "assembly language" of GUI programming.
>
>   And it only results in ugly looking programs if you don't spend DAYS
> AND DAYS AND DAYS working on the GUI. :)

Xlib is a fast and friendly toolkit when you want to just try stuff.  So is
OpenGL.  Actually, I still do plain Xlib programming to bootstrap GL.  Then,
I do plain GL programming, using GTK or whatever only for things like file
open dialogs.  Working at piecemeal developing my own toolkit in GL.

And, I still use plain Xlib for scheme programming.  In both cases, the
largest barier is the pain of developing a text entry control that is
scrollable.

--
Joshua D. Boyd