[geeks] Recommendations?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 13:02:19 CDT 2002

On April 7, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > I'm probably a bit more perverse than is actually healthy, but I like
> > > Windows[1] as a development platform.  Aside from the lack of networked
> > > graphics, I -like- the Win32 API (a hell of a lot more than libX11,
> > > anyway).  Part of this is probably due to billg having gotten to my brain
> > > before the X11 club had a chance--blame the school system.
> >
> >   Umm, dude, NOBODY writes bare Xlib code.  Except toolkit developers,
> > that is. ;)
>
> I've been known to do it.  It is pretty refreshing, even if it does result
> in ugly looking programs.

  Yeah, sure, I've done it too, but in 1989 when the only toolkits were
Xt and Motif, and Motif was expensive and inaccessible.

  Xlib is fast and efficient (compared to most toolkits), but it's
largely considered to be the "assembly language" of GUI programming.

  And it only results in ugly looking programs if you don't spend DAYS
AND DAYS AND DAYS working on the GUI. :)

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar