just took The Plunge, was Re: [geeks] Recommendations?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 7 16:12:00 CDT 2002

On April 7, Big Endian wrote:
> >   This is a big day for me.  I just moved to my G4/400 (MacOS 10.1.3)
> >as my primary desktop.
>
> Wow!  Congrats!  Welcome to the club.

  Thanks!  My testicles runneth over. :)

> >   - my compact flash reader (early SanDisk SDDR-05b) has no MacOS X drivers
>
> Did you install the devtools cd?  Check out this site for more info
> on how to rectumfy this situation: http://developer.apple.com/darwin/

  Yup.  I don't actually want to *write* a driver for this CF reader,
mind you. ;)

> >   - no CD burner software
>
> What burner do you have?

  A Caravelle 8x20 SCSI CDR, I don't recall the model number offhand.

> >   - can't get it to boot from a Qlogic QLA1080 or Adaptec 2940UW SCSI board
>
> firmware up to date on the cards?

  Dunno, all the updater tools seem to be PeeCee oriented, and I don't
have any PeeCees.  Do you have any idea if either of those cards is
supposed to be supported by OFW?  My OFW is the latest release, just
flashed it this morning.

> >   - can't get guile working (guile libraries are required to compile the
> >                              schematic capture software I use for work)
>
> Let me mess with it and I'll get back to you on that one.

  Thanks!  FYI, guile seems to build fine, but configuring libgeda
blows up...the stuff in config.log indicates undefined symbols that
should be in libguile.

> >   This is very, very nice.  Very nice indeed.  I'm stiff, here.
>
> Purty isnt it?

  Yes. :-)

   -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                    "I thought it would go quickly,
St. Petersburg, FL                 that rubberized bottom..." -Sridhar